Independent Boat Rental Options
• Qualified-Certified sailors with SF Bay or similar area experience can charter a boat without a membership or a licensed Captain. We have 2 locations. Our boats range from 15 to 35 feet, including 2 catamarans. Be prepared to show certifications and provide a sailing resume listing experience. Expect to pay an extra fee for and do a checkout as described below.
1. Must be ASA 104 Bare Boat Charter certified, or equivalent certification from another internationally recognized agency, to sail independently on SF central Bay. ASA 114 is required for Catamaran rentals. Required to have a competent First Mate aboard with minimum of ASA 101/103. If Certified, but no local or like area knowledge, we can try to arrange a locally certified sailor to join you for an extra fee.
2. Certified sailors, the first time sailing with us will participate in a pre-cruise check sail to match your skills to your certification. Set fee $150. Expect this to take 1 to 2hr. NO SAME DAY CHECK OUTS. You will know your result as pass or fail within max 2hr. If fail will then have time to work with you to fill weak areas through classes or secure the service of a licensed Captain. The checkout process gives you local waterway and boat orientation. Will need only to do a shorter version if chartering different boats in our fleet there-after, at a reduced check out cost and can be same day for repeat charterers..
3. If fail the check out, will need to add the cost for arrangements of a captain and crew to the cost of your charter at a fee minimum of $100 per hr. Suggest doing the checkout as early as possible to not miss the date you want to rent this boat. Bring your First Mate with you for their part of the check out.
4. Check Out On-the-water demonstration of skill includes: get the boat ready to sail, move away from the dock without incident, good engine skills, knowledge of USCG markers, set sail, tack and gybe safely, rules of right-away, good sail trim at each point of sail, heave-to, reef, crew-overboard return, put sails away then dock prepped & under control.
Captained Charter Options
• If wish to engage a Captain and your party is 6 persons or less, can choose the Captain package. We arrange a Captain and crew for you.
¥ If your party is over 6 persons (children included, max 8 on mono-hulls and 12 on cats) you need to rent as a bareboat, pay for the charter to this agency, then work with us to arrange a Captain of your choice from our list of licensed approved Captains, after this booking agency provides our contact information. You pre-pay our company the separate Captain fee, which we give to the Captain before you and your party board the boat.
¥ Tips after the charter are always appreciated.