VETERANS DAY WEEKEND SPECIAL!
ANY BOOKING NOV. 10TH, 11TH & / OR 12TH THAT INCLUDES A VETERAN AMONG THE PASSENGERS WILL RECEIVE THE 15% MILITARY DISCOUNT! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!
PLEASE NOTE - PRICES CAN VARY BETWEEN WEEKDAY AND WEEKEND, AND FROM SLOW TO BUSY SEASON.
Current weekday pricing is $395- for a full day
Current weekend pricing is $550- for a full day
Current 1/2 day (4 hour) pricing is $295-, with a $50- surcharge added for 5-9pm sunset sails (because I have a 2 hour sail to my slip after the charter, it makes for a pretty late for me).
15% DISCOUNT FOR FIREFIGHTERS, POLICE, EMTs, NURSES MILITARY AND TEACHERS! (read full description)
33' LOA, 11' beam
Head w/ shower, galley, hot & cold pressurized water
Roller furling jib
2 speed self-tailing winches
16 hp Yannmar diesel motor
Knot meter, depth sounder, auto pilot
DSC VHF w/GPS
Stereo w/bluetooth and remote
Heater (elect. / propane)
Shore power (when on shore power: microwave, electric heater).
Answers to FAQ:
- For those not familiar with sailboats, yes, Invictus also has a motor as well; a very reliable 16 hp Yannmar diesel that runs like a Swiss clock that can get us to / back from wherever we need to go if there is no wind (or too much of it).
- Yes, I do overnight / multiday charters, in fact I encourage them. You are responsible for any mooring / berth fees, but I will knock off $15- a day from the price of the charter to help cover that.
- The price you pay is for the boat and my services as Captain for the entire day, starting at 9 am (or later, if you'd like) until 5 pm or 1 pm until 1/2 hour after sunset (at which point my insurance requires that the charter either be over and my passengers ashore or in the case of an overnight booking be in a berth or at anchor). It is not per person, and includes up to 6 passengers total (not counting myself or any crew I have helping me). Yes, it really is that good of a deal. :-)
- The Coast Guard rules governing my license limit me to 6 passengers, not counting Captain (me) and crew. This is a hard and fast rule, and I can NOT take extra people for an additional fee. Besides, that limit makes sure that you have plenty of elbow room and an enjoyable cruise. :-)
- If time is tight, I can do pick up /drop off at Pier 39 or another location as well instead of Jack London Square (45 min from the Bay), you will be responsible for any applicable docking fees ($25- in the case of Pier 39). I have found that Pier 1 1/2 (near where the Bay Bridge comes into SF, close to the Ferry Building) is probably the best free pick up / drop off spot.
- I can take you out under the Golden Gate and about a mile past it (where you will often see critters such as porpoises, sea lions, dolphins, and depending upon the time of year, even whales), but that is far as my current Captain's license will allow (even though I have done coastal cruising myself and anticipate having my license upgraded to do mulit-day coastal cruising by 2019).
- Yes, kids are welcome! They must be old enough to follow directions, and, in the case of smaller children, have at least one adult within arms reach and watching them at all times. With that being said, our kids grew up being on sailboats most of the summer, in the case of our 11 year old son (Aidan, Invictus's First Mate who sometimes helps me crew on charters) since he was 18 months old. Sailing is a wonderful way for kids to experience the Bay, and we would love to welcome the whole family aboard. :-)
- Finally, while gratuities are not expected, they are gratefully accepted if you are in a position to do so and are so compelled (and if you are not in a position to do so PLEASE do not worry about it, really). And if my 12 year old son / First Mate Aidan is aboard helping me to crew the boat, all tips go to the pup (it's his summer job).
First off - why am I renting such a nice boat for so little money? Well, I'm the new kid on the block. I'm a retired fire captain, and while I have been taking friends and family out for the 26 years I have been sailing, I am a recently certified Coast Guard licensed boat captain, and want to get people going out on my boat so I can hone my skills as a host (S/V Invictus is my retirement boat, so we are a package deal... though if you are an experienced sailor I can be very much in the background). I also like to get people out on the water sailing who have not experienced the sport and may not normally have the opportunity. So even though my reviews are all 5 star, my rates are still competitive. :-)
Secondly, why charter with me? There are many choices of very nice boats and fine captains on Boatsetter and other sources, this is a good question. These are some of the reasons why you should come sailing with me:
- While I am a very seasoned and experienced sailor (26 years), I only recently became a USCG certified Captain for boats after my retirement from the fire service (my last 10 years as a Captain) and started doing charters (and I love it!). I am keenly aware that my competition is very stiff. So the first reason is that bearing this in mind I try to make sure that my boat is one of the least expensive (if not THE least expensive) compared to similar boats, while being just as nice, capable and comfortable. I believe that I am one of the best, and maybe even THE best value for sailing on the Bay.
- I do not charge extra for my services as Captain, and you can be as involved or not involved with the running of the boat as your ability and desire dictate (and I am happy to give informal sailing lessons for those wishing to learn). I also do not charge for fuel (it's a sailboat.... it really doesn't use that much even when the motor is running).
- While I do have a tour that I recommend (because it is hard to beat), we can go wherever you would like, time and circumstances permitting (McCovey Cove to anchor next to a Giants game, Clipper Cove at Treasure Island for some beach time, it's all your call). My usual / recommended tour is pick up at Pier 1 1/2, sail past and do a close flyby of Alcatraz, then out to Angel Island for lunch / beach time / hiking / whatever.
After lunch we sail up along Sausalito / Marin and then out under the Golden Gate Bridge to hopefully spot some porpoises (which I see about 75% of the time) and if we are real lucky maybe even a whale or two (it's the right time of year, and I have seen them by the Golden Gate a couple of times now)!
Then we turn around, and do a nice relaxing downwind sail back in under the Golden Gate, past the San Francisco city waterfront, going by sights such as the Palace of Fine Arts, Fisherman's Wharf (with a WWII liberty ship and submarine), Pier 39 (& the sea lions) and the Embarcadero, finishing up right around 5pm back at Pier 1 1/2.
Sound like an awesome day? That's because it is!
- Personal attention and planning. My services begin long before the day of the charter, as I will work with you prior to the day of your sail to custom tailor your sailing experience to any kind of event.
My charters to date have included a surprise marriage proposal, an overnight 2 day getaway for a couple, and several birthday celebrations. Once you are aboard I am not just your Captain but your host, you will be treated like friends, and I (along with any crew, if present) will do everything I can to provide for your comfort, fun and safety; from having a bluetooth linked stereo ready for your playlist (or you can use my Spotify) to making sure you get the perfect picture while out on our adventure. I LOVE helping people to have a good time!
- As a dad myself who has raised kids going out sailing all the time, children are MORE than welcome aboard Invictus, in fact there is a good chance that my 12 year old son (who has been on sailboats since he was 18 months old) / First Mate will be crewing for me (especially during the summer).
- Also, I don't care who you are, where you're from, the color of your skin, what you look like, who you love, who you voted for or what you do or don't believe. All are welcome aboard S/V Invictus, and our day will be about sailing, adventure, the sea, discovery and, most of all, FUN! Every time you look out on the Bay I want you to remember our day as a happy place you can go to when all the silly nonsense we all have to deal with back on shore in the real world becomes a bit much. :-) (it's what I do when things start getting to me...).
- Finally, for my brothers and sisters who are still putting themselves in harms way for the benefit of others - all firefighters who are members of the IAFF, active duty law enforcement officers, active duty military, EMTs / Paramedics as well as any currently working nurses or teachers will receive 15% off any booking! My (21 year) watch is over. Thank you for still standing yours. I would love to give you a well deserved break.
So those are the reasons I think that I stand apart from the other very fine captains and boats available to you, and I would be honored and delighted if you would join me for a great day on the Bay. :-)
Now, about the boat:
Pearson yachts are known for build quality, performance and comfort thanks to their efficient layout and use of space (the larger sister ships to Invictus, the 36 Mark II with the exact same layout and built, were recently featured as one of the best affordable bluewater cruisers in a book dedicated to such).
Invictus is a great example of this, as one of the 33 Mark II models she feels bigger than 33', her 11' beam providing ample elbow room below, her 3 cabin layout providing privacy when desired (with actual doors) and her head, located port and aft, makes for a much less, um, "exciting" experience if you have to use the facilities while underway than more traditional sailboats with the head forward just before the V-berth (where you experience much more of the boat's pitching).
Invictus also features a VERY large cooler and plenty of storage space for provisions and gear. She has a galley with a sink and hot and cold pressurized water, a propane stove, and a Magma marine BBQ mounted on her stern pulpit.
Thanks to the inventive cabin design, her main salon can comfortably seat 6 for a meal. She also sports new (as of September 2017) standing rigging, a 16 hp Yannmar diesel with less than 900 hours on it that runs like a swiss clock, depth sounder, knot meter, brand new (December 2017) Raymarine wheel autopilot, 2-speed self-tailing winches, GPS enabled DSC VHF radio, stereo with bluetooth and remote, nearly new Pineapple 95% roller furling jib, and a flat screen TV, DVD player and (while on shore power) microwave.
So just let Sailing Vessel Invictus and her skipper know what kind of sailing experience you'd like on the Bay (and yes, "both" is a perfectly acceptable answer!) and we will deliver it!
- Cap'n Jon
Jon is an awesome captain. I would 100% use him again. Very friendly, keeps in touch with you through the process and has good local knowledge of the Bay area. Jon is passionate about sailing and happens to take charters as a reason to get on the water, which is the kind of captain and experience I was looking for!
Where do I even begin, Jon was great from the get-go. My party had a mix-up at the start of the charter that caused a delay, Jon was very patient and made it right. We chartered him for a half day during Fleetweek's air show, and he was able to get us an amazing show despite the late start. He was very knowledgeable and had amazing stories like a captain ought to have! His skill on the water was stupendous, he kept us safe with all the chaos going on around us. His first mate/son was a blast to be around as well. Don't hesitate to charter, you won't regret it!
Excellent! We had so much fun. Cap’n Jon was fun and friendly and very knowledgeable. Invictus is a beautiful and comfortable boat and handled the water and weather with ease. We are already talking about sailing with Jon next year when we are back in the area. Sailing the Bay with Jon and Invictus was the highlight of our trip to SF!
Jon was the best, start to finish! Jon has a great way about him that instantly built a level of trust and also put us at ease. It was clear he knew his boat inside and out - which was a very nice and clean vessel. We wanted to help sail and he gave clear, concise, and encouraging instruction. He was very knowledgeable about sailing and the area which made our experience even better. With all that he's incredibly funny with great stories to tell. He was very engaging and friendly, but if we wanted to just lay on the deck to soak in the wind, the sun and the waves he let us do that too. He was all about making sure we had a great experience and it was just that....Great!!
Jon was extremely professional, communicative and knowledgebale throughout our entire trip from booking to finish. He made sure everyone was comfortable and was extremely flexible to our requests. Would recommend Jon to anyone!
We had a great day on the Bay with Jon. He was right on time, introduced us to the boat and the rules and off we went into some strong winds blowing through the Golden Gate.
We worked the boat hard, got wet by choice and had loads of fun.
Jon knows his boat and the Bay and is a great guy to be on the water with.
Go with him if you want to safely experience the Bay on a sailboat.
We had an amazing experience sailing with Jon for my boyfriend's birthday. He was very knowledgeable and accommodating to our group of four. We were able to sail along the Embarcadero and catch lunch followed by sailing along the bay. I am a Bay Area native and it truly was an experience to be able to sail beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge! We also were able to sail by and sightsee Alcatraz and Treasure Island. The day had a perfect end as we sailed back to the Berkeley Marina and were able to have a sunset dinner at Skates by the Bay. Thank you again for an incredible experience! We will be sure to recommend you and sail again in the future!
Wow! Just wow. A few friends and I decided to sail around the bay, take a hike to Angel Island, and see the Golden Gate Bridge for my birthday. After a bit of searching, we found Captain Jon and his boat, Invictus, and we just returned from one of the most memorable weekends we’ve ever had. The experience was outstanding: from the time we made a reservation (communication was excellent via email and texting, we got a 15% discount for having a teacher on board), from the directions to the boat docked on the pier, to the entire experience the water.
Captain Jon is a retired firefighter and coast guard boat captain, and his experience shines through. He is personable and was able to remember each one of our names after introducing everyone to him only once. Captain Jon taught us about the fundamentals of sailing and how to navigate the waters – I had an amazing time manning the helm at one point, steering the ship for an extensive amount of time.
His boat, Invictus, is a beautiful 33 foot boat with a cabin underneath, a stereo system with Bluetooth connection, bathroom and kitchenette on board, and a bow that you can hang out on.
We started sailing from San Francisco near the Ferry Market Building to Angel Island, went for a beautiful hike up Mt. Livermore, and then sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge to look for porpoises – unfortunately, they were not out that day. Oh whale. Haha. One advise I would give is to bring anti-nausea medication. Everyone took it before we left but made the mistake of not taking it again after our hike. But be weary if you're prone to sea sickness and come prepared.
I give Captain Jon and Invictus my recommendation with much enthusiasm. Great experience and looking forward to our next trip.
I booked a trip with Jon for my 30th birthday. Our group of 6 ventured from San Francisco to Angel Island for lunch and a short hike, and then back to Treasure Island for wine tasting in the afternoon. It was an INCREDIBLE trip and I could not have asked for a better Captain. So knowledgeable and friendly, Jon Johnson was very easy to work with and made my 30th birthday extra special. Invictus was a beautiful, clean and comfortable vessel that was perfect for our group. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
What an amazing adventure. We couldn't have asked for a more pleasant and professional captain and the boat was spacious and beautifully maintained. We would highly recommend this option to anyone seeking a truly memorable experience.