In simplest terms, having a boat captain on board means having an expert on board. If an emergency situation arises, if the weather turns bad, if the boat starts to make strange noises, the boat captain can handle the situation. Boat captains eliminate stress so that cruising and having fun can be your number one priority.
Not all boat captains are equal. They each have their passions on the water. It can heighten your boating experience if you work with a captain familiar with your particular boating goals. Before hiring a captain for your boat rental, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the captain a local? You’ll want to make sure that the person navigating your boat has a basic understanding of the geography, regional boating rules, weather patterns and local spots for fishing, swimming, etc.
- Are they comfortable with kids and pets? A boat captain with children of their own is likely to be more familiar with keeping children busy on a boat, or he/she may be able to recommend good destinations for the whole family.
- What type of boats do they typically charter? Sailboats? Yachts? Fishing Charters? Whatever their specialty, it is good information to know up front.
- How flexible is their schedule (weather, change of plans, extended stay)? Once you’re on the water, you may decide to extend your original reservation to a full day. Is a last-minute cancellation OK, or does your captain have prior plans? When boating with a large group, plans may change often. Be sure your captain is aware of these possible changes in the schedule before departure time.
If it is what you want, your boat rental captain can make it seem like he or she isn’t even there. Alternatively, your captain can be part of the experience, suggesting dining options, pointing out tourist sights and sharing local history. Remember that your captain is a person too! Don’t forget these important tips:
- Leave your captain a tip. Learn when and how to tip a boat captain.
- Provide specific instructions. Captains can’t read your mind, so tell them what you want and they will do their best to make it happen.
- Leave a review about your experience or give your captain a referral. If you had a good time, tell a friend!
Log on to Boatsetter to review boat rentals available in your area. During the checkout process, you have the option of adding a captain. We make it easy to find, book and confirm your boat rental using our online database.