The Best Marinas on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina
Hilton Head Island in southeastern South Carolina is just forty miles northeast of Savannah, Georgia, and is known for its 24 world-class golf courses near white sandy beaches. There are approximately 200 shopping opportunities on the island, and 350 tennis courts throughout the island, many of which were designed by Arnold Palmer, Robert Trent Jones, Jack Nicklaus, and Pete Dye.
This scenic island offers twelve miles of Atlantic Ocean coastline and Intracoastal waterways. The water is lukewarm and pleasant. The waves are relatively mild, especially compared to other areas, such as the west coast. While a beautiful shade of green, the water is not clear, so it is not accommodating for divers.
Still, this area is perfect for boating, kayaking, jet skiing, parasailing, deep-sea fishing, and dolphin watching. Alligators are native to the area, and you can spot them while out on the water.
Hilton Head is a boater’s paradise with seemingly endless opportunities, sights, and amenities. Below are some of the best marinas to stop at while you navigate the waterways of Hilton Head Island and the town of Hilton Head, South Carolina.
Broad Creek Marina
Broad Creek Marina is situated in the center of Hilton Head Island, in the middle of Broad Creek.
This multimillion-dollar property features:
- well-stocked marina shop that includes food and basic supplies
- on-site Up The Creek Pub and Grill
- competitively priced gasoline and diesel fuel
- laundry services
- plenty of parking spaces
- restrooms and showers
- dock boxes
- a full-service body shop that offers painting services, detail finishing, and fiberglass work
- open-daily ASE-certified mechanics’ shop
- 30 and 50 amps hookups
Up the Creek Pub and Grill offers casual waterfront dining with a large deck that offers fantastic views of Broad Creek and the surrounding low country marshes. You’ve gotta try their famous Broad Creek Burger while you’re here.
The marina offers fifty-three wet slips for boats up to fifty-five feet long, and two wet slips for boats that are up to one hundred feet long. It also offers high-security dry storage for up to thirty-five-foot-long boats. Dry storage provides complimentary hose offs with each pull and one complimentary “in and out” every day.
You can find Broad Creek Marina at 18 Simmons Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926.
Shelter Cove Harbor and Marina
Shelter Cove can be found in the middle of Hilton Head Island, just east of Broad Creek Marina, in a cozy little cove on the south side.
This 15.5-acre resort-style marina offers something for everyone. Their amenities are set up to accommodate casual boaters, dedicated sailors, residents, and brand new visitors. The marina offers:
- free wifi
- bike rentals
- gas and diesel fuel
- trash and recycling services
- an on-call 24/7 dockmaster
- 24 hour security
- laundry facilities
- water hookups
- an ATM
- spacious parking
- 30 and 50 amp power pedestals
- pump out services
- boat washing, detailing, painting, maintenance, and repair
- Marine A/C repair
- and yacht watches
Recently awarded the “South Carolina Clean Marina Certification”, Shelter Cove is sure to make your boating experience pleasant. They have 178 slips for boats that are up to 145 feet long.
You can find Shelter Cove Marina at 1 Shelter Cove Ln, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928, or GPS coordinates 32.10′ 92″ N 80. 43′ 56″ W. The entrance channel sits between red marker 22 and green marker 23.
Palmetto Bay Marina
Palmetto Bay Marina sits on the south side of the water, next to the Charles E. Fraser (Broad Creek Bridge), just west of the bridge.
Established in 1958, this is one of the oldest marinas in the area, and it is the deepest marina in Hilton Head. Even at low tide, the water is still at least 22 feet deep.
This massive, historic bay features:
- over three thousand feet of dockage
- marine fuel, diesel fuel, and gasoline
- 30, 50, and 100 amp pedestals
- 3 phase power with 208 and 480 voltage
- freshwater hoses
- fish cleaning and filet station
- pump out services
- yacht services
- mechanical services
- a 75-ton max travel lift
This marina offers several fun attractions, including “Music on the Marina” which offers live music every evening. There are four restaurants and bars on-site too. These are The Black Marlin, Carolina Crab Company, The Hurricane Bar, and Sunrise Cafe. Each dining facility offers different food, vibes, and beautiful views of the waterway and boat docks.
You may find Palmetto Bay Marina at 86 Helmsman Way, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928.
Safe Harbor Skull Creek Marina
Skull Creek Marina is nestled in the northeastern corner of Hilton Island, one mile west of Hilton Head Plantation and directly across the waterway from Pickney Island National Wildlife Refuge.
Skull Creek Marina can accommodate vessels up to 125 feet long, and up to a 19-foot beam.
Some of their amenities include:
- free wifi
- marine fuel, gasoline, and diesel fuel
- laundry, restrooms, and bathhouses
- spacious, complimentary parking
- dock carts
- dock boxes
- shore power hookups and freshwater hookups
- fish preparation stations and tables
- pump outs
- 24/7 high-security to protect boats and boaters
You can find Skull Creek Marina at 1 Waterway Ln, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926, or at GPS coordinate 32.2462842, -80.7442852.
The Sea Pines Resort
The Sea Pines Resort and Marina is at the far southwestern corner of Hilton Head Island, in Braddock Cove. Inspired by a harbor that Charles Fraser visited in the 1960s in Portofino, Italy, it has a unique style that beautifully incorporates the island’s natural beauty, vintage hardwoods, and a European style.
Sea Pines Resort has a panoramic view of the Calubogue Sound and attractive shops, golf courses, and the surrounding restaurants. Sea Pines Resort sits next to the following restaurants:
- The Quarterdeck specializes in fish and fresh seafood.
- Harbourside is known for burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
- The Harbour Town Bakery and Cafe offers homestyle breakfasts, soups, and pizzas.
- CQ’s pisan American cuisine restaurant that prides itself on using local ingredients from nearby waterways, farms, and hunting.
- Crazy Crab, unsurprisingly offers up delicious seafood and steaks.
- Spirit of Harbour Town Sunset Dinner Cruise is a fine buffet that takes diners on an air-conditioned and heated yacht up and down the waterways of Hilton Head Island.
- Lastly, Cups and Cones is an ice cream and coffee shop that sits at the foot of the scenic and historic Harbour Town Lighthouse.
This marina can support boats up to 30 feet long. A private boat ramp, fuel station, wet dockage, 100 slips, and restaurants are on-site too.
Find South Beach Marina at S Sea Pines Dr, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928.
Windmill Harbour Marina
On the northwest coast of Hilton Head Island on the Intracoastal Waterway, you’ll find the 15.5-acre Windmill Harbour Marina.
Here, there are 258 boat slips for boats ranging from 25 to 75 feet long, a 75-foot by 19-foot marina lock, and a 24-hour yachtsman. It accommodates locals and visitors with class and kindness. It is home to the South Carolina Yacht Club. Members can enjoy fine dining, tennis courts, swimming pools, and hot tubs.
This harbor also offers:
- high-speed fueling
- a ship store
- restrooms and showers
- docking that is safe from currents and tides, and a constant 8-foot depth
- yacht sales and brokerage right on site
- a pet-friendly neighborhood that even features a dog park
- on-call maintenance for repairs on engines, canvases, electronics, and more
- on-call boat cleaning
Windmill Harbour Marina can be found at 161 Harbour Passage, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926.
Are you ready to hit the beautiful waters in upscale, regal Hilton Head, South Carolina? Check out our diverse selection of available vessels, and then start planning your next adventure.
With Boatsetter, you can be your captain or hire fun and experienced captain to guide you through new waters.
New to the world of boat ownership? Check out our comprehensive first-time boat owner checklist made just for you.